Preschool vs Montessori
Kids R Kids compared to Montessori
As demonstrated by the renowned psychologist, Jean Piaget, children learn best through play, so at Kids R Kids Learning Academies we've developed hands-on learning experiences for all levels of learners. Kids R Kids International is proud to announce that our curriculum meets the standards for AdvancED, while remaining fun and flexible for every child.
So who were Montessori and Piaget?
Jean Piaget was a Swiss psychologist who identified different stages of mental growth of children. In the early years, Piaget believed that a child is mainly concerned with gaining motor control and learning about physical objects. As the child grows, he becomes more interested in communication--verbal skills, words, writing, and learning to read. Later, the child begins to deal with abstract concepts such as relationships and logical reasoning. His method is also commonly called “hands on”, “center based” or “theme based” learning.
Marie Montessori was an Italian woman who in the 1920`S, developed a teaching method to help her successfully work with mentally handicapped children who had very short attention spans. Today this method is a program that stresses giving children a great deal of freedom and does not require an elongated attention span. Children may choose activities that interest them and may leave that activity when interest wanes. Montessori feels that child can learn alone through self-discovery and without the direction of a teacher.
Kids R Kids Piaget classrooms have advanced academic materials and more teacher-directed lessons and does also incorporate 'child directed” activities times as well. The life skill concept of "finishing your work" is developed and routine is established; there is a "time" to teach math, a "time" to do music. Flexibility, of course strongly remains, but it is believed that routine helps children develop an inner self-discipline. By instilling the Piaget philosophy of learning, children are more prepared for the rigors and expectations of education from the primary years through the college experience.
Kids R Kids Learning Academy (Piaget)
- Both child-directed and teacher directed
- Curriculum and Classrooms are age-specific
- Research-Based, hands-on method of teaching that is modified to each individual child's needs
- Role-play and realistic social experiences encouraged
- Follows the “Love and Logic” method of Redirection as a discipline tool
- Freedom to move about the classroom and explore while also having scheduled circle times
- Liberty to speak (without disturbing others) as he pleases
- Child-directed only, learning through the Montessori principal, "Spontaneous self-development"
- Curriculum and Classrooms are often age blended, meaning a classrooms consists of children ages 0-3 and 3-6.
- Unstructured and flexible method of teaching
- Learning individually with less social experiences allowed
- Self-education through self-correcting
- Silence is encouraged even at times of snack and lunch
Kids R Kids encourages parents to ask about any school's accreditation before enrolling a child. In the U.S., many different styles of Montessori are being practiced. Checking a accreditation will give assurance a Montessori school is following the philosophy the name implies. Kids R Kids is proud that our curriculum meets the standards for AdvancED program.